PECS Level 2 Certified Implementer now available!
Want to validate your PECS knowledge and skills? Enroll in our PECS Certification Program today! PECS Level 2 Certified Implementer now available! Go to www.pecsusa.com/certification.php for more information.
ATIA 2017 Conference
Join us at the ATIA 2017 Conference in Orlando, Florida on January 18th - 21st, 2017! We are super excited to present the following sessions this year:
FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, 2017
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Transitioning from PECS to SGDs
Anne K. Overcash, M.Ed.
Jo-Anne Matteo, M.S., CCC/SLP
Room: Bonaire 1
SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2017
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
PECS and Core Vocabulary
Jo-Anne Matteo, M.S., CCC/SLP
Anne K. Overcash, M.Ed.
Room: Caribbean V
Additional information can be found by visiting the session directory website. We hope you can join us!
Consultant Employment Opportunity
Pyramid Educational Consultants, US – Job Posting
We currently have an opening for a full-time consultant position. This position consists of a combination of consultation and training regarding PECS and the Pyramid Approach to Education. This is a unique opportunity to join our team of BCBAs, special education teachers, speech language pathologists and psychologists. The ideal candidate will reside in California – travel across the state and throughout the United States is required.
- Access to senior clinical leadership, including direct contact with Dr. Andy Bondy and Lori Frost
- Medical/Dental Insurance
- Matching contribution to retirement plan
- Paid travel expenses, as well as mileage reimbursement
- Support for conference attendance and/or presentations
- Laptop, iPad and cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible schedule
- Training: Pyramid Consultants present a range of training workshops. Consultants must be comfortable presenting to groups of various sizes with diverse backgrounds.
- Consultation: Consultation regarding PECS and the Pyramid Approach is provided in the school, home and community settings. Consultants must be comfortable providing recommendations to all team members that will make a significant positive impact on the lives of the learners.
- Continuing Education: Consultants are expected to review current research and actively participate in clinical meetings to continuously expand their knowledge base.
- Travel: Consultants must be comfortable with traveling independently, as extensive travel will be required.
- Master’s degree in behavior analysis, speech pathology, psychology, special education and/or related field is required
- Prior attendance at the PECS Level 1 workshop is a basic requirement. There is an established PECS Certification process that all candidates must complete following hire. The additional training necessary to complete this process will be provided during the training period.
- Direct experience implementing PECS with a range of students in one or more settings is required. Our consultants work with a wide variety of professionals and families. We require consultants who bring with them the credibility of hands-on experience in the field.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Clinical Director, Catherine Horton, MS, CCC-SLP, BCBA at email@example.com.
Teaching Critical Communication Skills - Online Workshop
Our one day workshop Teaching Critical Communication Skills is now available as an online workshop in English! ASHA and BACB CEUs available! Introductory rate of $99.00 USD. For more information or to enroll in the workshop, click here.
New Office Address
Please note that as of March 21st, 2016, Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc. has moved to a new location. Our new address is below.
Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc.
350 Churchmans Road, Suite B
New Castle, DE 19720
New PECS Certification Program
Pyramid is excited to announce the launch of our newly revised PECS Certification Program! To learn more about the new PECS Certification Program go to www.pecsusa.com/certification.php
PECS to SGDs - Guidelines & Recommendations
We’ve just released a document outlining our position, guidelines and recommendations for a successful transition from PECS to a speech generating device (SGD)! Go to http://www.pecsusa.com/Brochures/PECStoSGD-GuidelinesRecommendations-USA.pdf to read the document. For more information about transitioning from PECS to SGDs attend our new full day talk, Transitioning from PECS to SGDs.
For more information or to host this training contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-732-7462.
PECS Success Story
In honor of Autism Awareness Month, a "PECS Success Story Contest" was held during the month of April. We received many submissions from parents and professionals who have found success implementing the PECS protocol. We would like to thank those who participated. The winning submission can be found below.
Nerds - When I first met “Chris,” he was three years old. He walked into our Child Find screening day shepherded by his mother; her look of exhaustion and apprehension spoke volumes about their time together leading up to this day. It was obvious that Chris showed the classic signs of Autism. His “communication” consisted mainly of screaming, jumping, and crawling under furniture. At times he would erupt into “fits” that had no readily-apparent trigger. He was using no words and did not appear to be responding to the words of others. He had self-stimulatory behaviors and obsessive interests. We conducted our screening as best we could, referred him to an audiologist to rule out hearing loss, and began paperwork to test him for special education eligibility. Within weeks he was enrolled in our pre-school special education classroom and I started him on the PECS program; excited to try this new-to-me method of therapy.
Chris moved quickly through Phase 1, seemingly hungry for the effective interactions that these colorful little pictures opened up for him. His motivation, at that time, was highest when working for “Nerds” candy. Like so many children with Autism, Chris craved the sensory pop of sour or tangy tastes. As the days went by we moved through the program and he would occasionally attempt to say what sounded like a word. Then, words began to emerge, clearly formed and related to the items at hand. We began Phase IV: Sentence Formation. Chris initially stumbled a bit as the expectations of the task changed, but he recovered quickly and quickly grasped the idea. Within a session or two he was arranging the little icons on his orange plastic sentence strip and handing over his message, like a relay runner handing off his baton. Still though, he would only say one word each time; sometimes not even that. Nevertheless he was communicating and we were making progress. Then came “The Day:” We began our Speech session and I got out a small box of strawberry-flavored “Nerds” candy. Chris’s eyes lit up as he reached for his blue PECS book. Deftly selecting and affixing his icons, he handed over his sentence strip. But before I could look at the icons, Chris clearly spoke words which still echo in my memory to this day: “I WANT NERDS.” After I recovered from my shock I fumbled to open the tiny candy box and reward him for his efforts. I may have emptied the whole box into his hand I was so excited. To this day, five years later, I still have that little empty “Nerds” box tucked into my desk; a reminder of Chris’s victory, and mine.
Submission by: Gordon Dalton - Lovingston, Virginia
PECS Products Now Available in Spanish!
We are pleased to announce that we are now offering the PECS 151 in Spanish!
This set of pictures is a collection of some of the most commonly used pictures for PECS. We compiled this list over several years by tracking the picture vocabulary development of hundreds of new PECS users. Our generic, non-specific pictures are perfect for combining with attributes for precise requests or comments. To save you valuable time, these full color pictures are printed on rigid paper and are laminated for added durability! VELCRO® Brand loop VELCOINS® are included to apply to the back of your pictures. "Imágenes de color para la comunicación visual."
To order, or for more information, please visit http://www.pecsproducts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=176
The Second Edition PECS Training Manual is also available in Spanish. For more information please visit http://www.pecsproducts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28 and select "Spanish" in the drop down menu.
Picture Exchange Communication System®, PECS®, and Pyramid Approach to Education® are the registered trademarks of Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc.